Freeman and Judd labor mightily to lend credibility to this Silence of the Lambs derivative about a forensic psychologist (Freeman) hunting for a killer who preys on the best and brightest young women — including Judd’s kickboxing doctor, Kate. Kiss the Girls shows promise with Kate’s capture and bold escape from the psycho girl-kisser’s underground lair, but lapses into implausibility once she hangs up her scrubs to help find the killer and rescue the other victims. These days, it’s not enough to have women raped and killed; this film’s nut makes them dress up and listen to violin concerts. The plot’s best twist remains maddeningly unexplained, as does why Freeman’s cop would ever let Judd go with him on stakeouts. The woman in jeopardy gets even, but the story ends up the real victim.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Tatyana Ali, Brian Cox, Cary Elwes, Tony Goldwyn, Jeremy Piven, Mena Suvari; Director: Gary Fleder; Author: David Klass; Release Date Wide: 10/03/1997; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures, Rysher Entertainment
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!