Freeman and Judd labor mightily to lend credibility to this Silence of the Lambs derivative about a forensic psychologist (Freeman) hunting for a killer who preys on the best and brightest young women — including Judd’s kickboxing doctor, Kate. Kiss the Girls shows promise with Kate’s capture and bold escape from the psycho girl-kisser’s underground lair, but lapses into implausibility once she hangs up her scrubs to help find the killer and rescue the other victims. These days, it’s not enough to have women raped and killed; this film’s nut makes them dress up and listen to violin concerts. The plot’s best twist remains maddeningly unexplained, as does why Freeman’s cop would ever let Judd go with him on stakeouts. The woman in jeopardy gets even, but the story ends up the real victim.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Tatyana Ali, Brian Cox, Cary Elwes, Tony Goldwyn, Jeremy Piven, Mena Suvari; Director: Gary Fleder; Author: David Klass; Release Date Wide: 10/03/1997; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures, Rysher Entertainment
Posted April 17 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bill Maher gives commencement speech from the year 2041 on 'Real Time'
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse': Behind the climactic Beast & Psylocke battle
- Jimmy Fallon, Maya Rudolph, Martin Short star in cop show spoof
- Rashida Jones teaches Stephen Colbert how to be a feminist
- Donald Trump's 'senior junior strategist' explains insult campaign
- Shonda Rhimes, Art Garfunkel almost fought during 'Hamilton'
- 'Maze Runner: The Death Cure' pushed to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien recovers
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers