Freeman and Judd labor mightily to lend credibility to this Silence of the Lambs derivative about a forensic psychologist (Freeman) hunting for a killer who preys on the best and brightest young women — including Judd’s kickboxing doctor, Kate. Kiss the Girls shows promise with Kate’s capture and bold escape from the psycho girl-kisser’s underground lair, but lapses into implausibility once she hangs up her scrubs to help find the killer and rescue the other victims. These days, it’s not enough to have women raped and killed; this film’s nut makes them dress up and listen to violin concerts. The plot’s best twist remains maddeningly unexplained, as does why Freeman’s cop would ever let Judd go with him on stakeouts. The woman in jeopardy gets even, but the story ends up the real victim.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Tatyana Ali, Brian Cox, Cary Elwes, Tony Goldwyn, Jeremy Piven, Mena Suvari; Director: Gary Fleder; Author: David Klass; Release Date Wide: 10/03/1997; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures, Rysher Entertainment
Posted April 17 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Saget says Bill Cosby's reputation is now 'tarnished'
- 'The Hateful Eight' cast and crew nerds-out on 70 mm 'road show' cut
- John Stamos sentenced to 3 years probation for DUI
- Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante releases free new music
- Stevie Wonder and Andra Day cover a Christmas classic in new Apple commercial
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 6, 'Three Monkeys'
- Michael B. Jordan on boxing in 'Creed': 'Every punch is a line'
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year