No trace of the bloodshed that did in the last Czar and his family intrudes on this animated retread of the oft-told Anastasia myth, but parents may find this retelling a little too bloodless. The Disneyfied gloss has an amnesiac Anastasia (Ryan, voicing the headstrong heroine) hooking up with two hucksters (Cusack as her attracting opposite; Grammer as an avuncular royalist) who convince her to try convincing the Czar’s mother that she is the lost princess. The animators’ beguiling take on fading imperial grandeur and some Pygmalion-like moments — Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty’s catchy ”The Rain in Spain” stand-in — will help keep everyone engaged until the clearly foreseeable end. C+
AnastasiaNo trace of the bloodshed that did in the last Czar and his family intrudes on this animated retread of the oft-told Anastasia myth,...AnastasiaAnimation, Drama, Sci-fi and FantasyGNo trace of the bloodshed that did in the last Czar and his family intrudes on this animated retread of the oft-told Anastasia myth,...1998-05-01Kirsten Dunst
Genre: Animation, Drama, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: John Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, Meg Ryan, Kirsten Dunst; MPAA Rating: G
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Jay Z on epic Tidal rlaunch: 'We're in this for the right reasons'
- Marilynne Robinson expanding Gilead trilogy: 'People should be prepared to say 'quartet''
- Our perfect 'The Wiz' cast features Broadway stars and Crazy Eyes
- Rolling Stones to tour U.S., reissue 'Sticky Fingers'
- See Martha Stewart, Ron Burgundy and more show up to Justin Bieber roast
- Justified: Watch Raylan's 10 all-time best showdowns
- My Morning Jacket releases spacey "Spring (Among The Living)," second track off upcoming album
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!