It used to be that when filmmakers were celebrated for their ”formalist” imagination, they were furrowed-browed metaphysicians (Tarkovsky, Kieslowski) out to reassemble the cosmos on film. Japan’s Takeshi Kitano has no such ambition. He’s just a weirdly somber avant-garde doodler tossing crime-thriller motifs into the Cuisinart, and since he stars in his own films, wearing the same fixed expression of Robert Mitchum-as-samurai-gangster bemusement in nearly every scene, his gimcrack absurdism can be taken as the latest in existential chic. If only it were more entertaining! Made in 1993, Sonatine casts Kitano as an icy underworld boss who, along with some flaky henchmen, kills time on a beach as he waits to mediate an amorphous gang war. The picture ricochets from random urban Mob hits to horseplay in the sand that wouldn’t have looked out of place on The Monkees. By the time Kitano threatens to put a gun to his own head, his stoic hard case has grown detached from everything he’s surveying — and so has the audience. C-
Sonatine It used to be that when filmmakers were celebrated for their ''formalist'' imagination, they were furrowed-browed metaphysicians (Tarkovsky,...SonatineForeign Language, Action/Adventure, Mystery and ThrillerR It used to be that when filmmakers were celebrated for their ''formalist'' imagination, they were furrowed-browed metaphysicians (Tarkovsky,...1998-05-01
Genre: Foreign Language, Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Takeshi Kitano; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 1 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- 'Gilmore Girls' movie? Scott Patterson hints at 'some activity'
- Former Virgins frontman Donald Cumming debuts dreamy ballad 'In The Early Hours' -- exclusive
- 'Star Wars' to screen in China for first time ever
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Dust off your crayons: Adult coloring books are here
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!