In Spike Lee?s passionately ambitious new movie, Jake Shuttlesworth (Denzel Washington), a convicted murderer, is let out of prison on an unofficial furlough. He has one week to convince his son, the greatest high school basketball player in the country, to attend college at the New York governor?s alma mater. Lest we have any doubt about what the stakes are, Jake?s son is named Jesus (he?s played by Milwaukee Bucks guard Ray Allen). Lee does a dazzling job of evoking the whirlwind of temptation that?s buffeting Jesus, and Washington, as the sad-sack Jake, gives a meticulous, implosive performance?though the lackadaisical desperation of his ?street? manner is never entirely convincing.
JUMP BALL Ray Allen and Washington go one-on-one in "He Got Game"
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ray Allen, Denzel Washington, Rosario Dawson, Milla Jovovich; Director: Spike Lee; Author: Spike Lee; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 14 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Power': Actress Lela Loren explains how wild scenes were shot
- Justin Timberlake is still doing the Carlton at golf tournaments
- 'The Magicians' season 2: See the premiere's first scene
- Comic-Con: See photos from the Harley Quinn costume contest
- 16 can't-miss Comic-Con Boomerangs from EW's Instagram account
- '24: Legacy' exists in same Jack Bauer universe
- 'Sherlock' Comic-Con panel reveals three key names to tease season 4