In Spike Lee?s passionately ambitious new movie, Jake Shuttlesworth (Denzel Washington), a convicted murderer, is let out of prison on an unofficial furlough. He has one week to convince his son, the greatest high school basketball player in the country, to attend college at the New York governor?s alma mater. Lest we have any doubt about what the stakes are, Jake?s son is named Jesus (he?s played by Milwaukee Bucks guard Ray Allen). Lee does a dazzling job of evoking the whirlwind of temptation that?s buffeting Jesus, and Washington, as the sad-sack Jake, gives a meticulous, implosive performance?though the lackadaisical desperation of his ?street? manner is never entirely convincing.
JUMP BALL Ray Allen and Washington go one-on-one in "He Got Game"
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ray Allen, Denzel Washington, Rosario Dawson, Milla Jovovich; Director: Spike Lee; Author: Spike Lee; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 14 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!