One of the few growth industries in the untethered, post-Communist, Wild West-style Ukraine is, apparently, that of contract killing. Tired of scrambling unsuccessfully for work as a translator and depressed by his wife’s unfaithfulness, Anatoli (soulfully handsome Alexandre Lazarev), the shambling hero of Vyacheslav Krishtofovich’s laconic, ironic, engaging comic drama about the human coldness that has swept in with capitalism, hires a hitman to do himself in. But his troubles really compound when he changes his mind. Anatoli spends a lot of time in A Friend of the Deceased smoking, drinking little cups of coffee, and waiting for his phone to ring, but his lassitude is interrupted by a procession of terrific characters — a perky prostitute, a pretty widow, a rival hitman — each of whom displays aspects of the Ukrainian survival instinct in all its ruthless vigor. The result is a sophisticated film that distills political theory to basics — trust, friendship, livelihood, and a reason to live. A-
A Friend of the DeceasedOne of the few growth industries in the untethered, post-Communist, Wild West-style Ukraine is, apparently, that of contract killing. Tired of...A Friend of the DeceasedDramaROne of the few growth industries in the untethered, post-Communist, Wild West-style Ukraine is, apparently, that of contract killing. Tired of...1998-05-15
Genre: Drama; MPAA Rating: R
Posted May 15 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!