In the early ’70s, the celebrated cinema verite team of David and Albert Maysles learned that Jacqueline Onassis’ aunt and cousin were living in spartan squalor in a once resplendent East Hampton mansion known as Grey Gardens. The Maysleses went off to film these two recluses, and what they found were a couple of aging fruitcakes who had practically turned into bag ladies, yet who somehow clung to their high-society airs. The result is this legendary 1976 documentary, now being given a national rerelease. We meet the doddering yet still imperious Edith Bouvier Beale, an ill-tempered, gray-maned crone warbling half-remembered fragments of ”I’m in the Mood for Love,” lording it over her daughter about forgotten suitors from 30 years earlier. We meet the former debutante beauty known as ”Little Edie,” swanning about in her Sunset Boulevard turbans and spouting high-flown gibberish in a hilariously cultivated New England social-register accent that makes her sound like a Tennessee Williams heroine played by one of the Warhol superstars. Grey Gardens offers the bizarre and resonant spectacle of these white-bread paragons devolved into trust-fund derelicts, yet the film’s gruesome comedy derives from the fact that their blood remained as blue as ever. They seem to be living in a self-created asylum for fallen American royalty. A
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Edith B. Beale Jr., Edith Bouvier Beale; Director: Albert Maysles, David Maysles; Producer (group): Portrait Films; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Portrait Films
Posted May 22 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!