For contemporary moviegoers, Gone With the Wind (New Line) offers a veritable shock of pleasure—a shock enhanced by, though hardly dependent on, the dazzlingly saturated new prints that have been struck for the current rerelease, with the images reproduced in their original box-like aspect ratio. (You never knew a square could be this voluptuous.) More than a gorgeous monument, Gone With the Wind, along with Citizen Kane, is probably the darkest great movie ever produced within the studio system. A riveting tragedy of neurotic self-destruction, it fixes its gaze on Scarlett O’Hara, the firebrand Dixie princess, as she ricochets with blind abandon between her Southern-belle fantasies and her ruthless heart, between her abstract crush on Ashley Wilkes and her hunka burnin’ lust for Rhett Butler (the man she hates herself for loving because he’s as big a scoundrel as she is). The film starts out as bedazzled historical romance, but in the haunting final hour it morphs into a Technicolor-gothic Scenes From a Marriage, with Vivien Leigh—now flirting, now raging, now smiling to heaven through tears—etching an indelible vision of feminine strength and self-delusion. To see Gone With the Wind on a big screen again is to weep for the fearlessness with which Hollywood once believed the sublime was possible. A
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Clark Gable, Vivian Leigh, Olivia de Havilland, George Reeves, Leslie Howard, Hattie McDaniel, Butterfly McQueen; Director: Victor Fleming; Author: Sidney Howard; Producer (person): David O. Selznick; Runtime (in minutes): 234; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: MGM
Posted July 10 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996