Robert Altman, master of the rambling satiric panorama, was hardly the most obvious choice to direct a story from the mind of John Grisham, master of the ham-fisted thriller. But “The Gingerbread Man,” Altman?s rendition of an unproduced Grisham script, actually seems more like “The Player” than “The Firm,” and it weaves almost as compelling a spell. Once again, an arrogant go-getter is humbled, this time a slippery defense attorney (Branagh) who stumbles into an intrigue that he can?t wriggle out of with his usual glib finesse. Altman brings out the suspense through his talent for quirky tension between characters, which allows this movie to play especially well on video.
PARK PLACE Attorney Branagh is caught up in a shady intrigue
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Tom Berenger, Kenneth Branagh, Embeth Davidtz, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Tom Berenger, Embeth Davidtz, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Daryl Hannah, Famke Janssen; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:49 AM EST
- Grimes to open for Lana Del Rey on Endless Summer Tour
- Rihanna pranks Jimmy Kimmel in his own bed for April Fools' Day: Sneak preview
- 'American Idol' adds a Twitter Fan Save
- Jim Norton backs Trevor Noah: TIME essay
- Producer Jason Blum talks about the new Joel Edgerton-Jason Bateman thriller 'The Gift'
- See all the names Kurt Cobain considered for Nirvana
- Just in time for hump day, Charlie Puth shares sexy 'Marvin Gaye' video with Meghan Trainor