Robert Altman, master of the rambling satiric panorama, was hardly the most obvious choice to direct a story from the mind of John Grisham, master of the ham-fisted thriller. But “The Gingerbread Man,” Altman?s rendition of an unproduced Grisham script, actually seems more like “The Player” than “The Firm,” and it weaves almost as compelling a spell. Once again, an arrogant go-getter is humbled, this time a slippery defense attorney (Branagh) who stumbles into an intrigue that he can?t wriggle out of with his usual glib finesse. Altman brings out the suspense through his talent for quirky tension between characters, which allows this movie to play especially well on video.
PARK PLACE Attorney Branagh is caught up in a shady intrigue
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Tom Berenger, Kenneth Branagh, Embeth Davidtz, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Tom Berenger, Embeth Davidtz, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Daryl Hannah, Famke Janssen; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman; MPAA Rating: R
Posted July 30 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Black Panther vs. Winter Soldier in 'Captain America: Civil War' clip
- Beyonce postpones 'Formation' tour's Nashville concert stop
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch