Robert Altman, master of the rambling satiric panorama, was hardly the most obvious choice to direct a story from the mind of John Grisham, master of the ham-fisted thriller. But “The Gingerbread Man,” Altman?s rendition of an unproduced Grisham script, actually seems more like “The Player” than “The Firm,” and it weaves almost as compelling a spell. Once again, an arrogant go-getter is humbled, this time a slippery defense attorney (Branagh) who stumbles into an intrigue that he can?t wriggle out of with his usual glib finesse. Altman brings out the suspense through his talent for quirky tension between characters, which allows this movie to play especially well on video.
PARK PLACE Attorney Branagh is caught up in a shady intrigue
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Tom Berenger, Kenneth Branagh, Embeth Davidtz, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Tom Berenger, Embeth Davidtz, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Daryl Hannah, Famke Janssen; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman; MPAA Rating: R
Posted July 30 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!