And now, a word or two from thespian Jean-Claude Van Damme as a former biggie in Hong Kong’s imitation-brand clothing business who gets tangled up with Russian mobsters, rogue CIA agents, and random baddies: ”I always made a quality piece of crap.” With such truth in advertising, it’s hard to get picky about Knock Off, a happy piece of Hong Kong action schlock, directed with a garmento’s appreciation for the gaudy by the redoubtable director Tsui Hark (who never met a visual novelty he didn’t like). Van Damme and his cronies (including Lela Rochon, Paul Sorvino, and, for no immediately graspable reason, Rob Schneider as Van Damme’s rabbity sidekick) race, speed, shoot, chop, and zip through scenes of such festive mayhem, plot is a clunky afterthought, like a lopsided fake Prada label on a cheap nylon knapsack. C+
Knock Off And now, a word or two from thespian Jean-Claude Van Damme as a former biggie in Hong Kong's imitation-brand clothing business who gets tangled up...Knock OffMystery and Thriller, Action/AdventureR And now, a word or two from thespian Jean-Claude Van Damme as a former biggie in Hong Kong's imitation-brand clothing business who gets tangled up...1998-09-18
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme; MPAA Rating: R
Posted September 18 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Sharon Osbourne takes 'Talk' break
- Chris Pratt offers pre-apology for any offensive remarks he says during press tour
- An intense new trailer for 'Black Mass' has arrived
- John Stamos on Olsens' 'Fuller House' nix
- This was Chris Pratt's craziest day on the set of 'Jurassic World'
- Why Michael Fassbender loves taking risks
- 'Mr. Holmes': Doyle estate sues
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!