And now, a word or two from thespian Jean-Claude Van Damme as a former biggie in Hong Kong’s imitation-brand clothing business who gets tangled up with Russian mobsters, rogue CIA agents, and random baddies: ”I always made a quality piece of crap.” With such truth in advertising, it’s hard to get picky about Knock Off, a happy piece of Hong Kong action schlock, directed with a garmento’s appreciation for the gaudy by the redoubtable director Tsui Hark (who never met a visual novelty he didn’t like). Van Damme and his cronies (including Lela Rochon, Paul Sorvino, and, for no immediately graspable reason, Rob Schneider as Van Damme’s rabbity sidekick) race, speed, shoot, chop, and zip through scenes of such festive mayhem, plot is a clunky afterthought, like a lopsided fake Prada label on a cheap nylon knapsack. C+
Knock Off And now, a word or two from thespian Jean-Claude Van Damme as a former biggie in Hong Kong's imitation-brand clothing business who gets tangled up...Knock OffMystery and Thriller, Action/AdventureR And now, a word or two from thespian Jean-Claude Van Damme as a former biggie in Hong Kong's imitation-brand clothing business who gets tangled up...1998-09-18
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme; MPAA Rating: R
Posted September 18 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!