Margaret Ray, the 46-year-old woman infamous for stalking “Late Show” host David Letterman, committed suicide Tuesday by kneeling in front of an oncoming Union Pacific coal train in a remote part of Colorado. Ray’s pattern of obsession with Letterman began in 1988 when she stole his Porsche and was caught driving it, claiming that she was his wife. Since then, authorities have arrested Ray numerous times for trespassing on Letterman’s property and breaking into his home in suburban Connecticut. In ‘96, she was arrested for shoplifting and resisting arrest near the Carmel, Indiana, home of Letterman’s mother, Dorothy. “This is a sad ending to a confused life,” said Letterman, in a public statement.
Posted October 7 1998 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!