On the Hamburger Helper continuum of high-fat-content feature-length comedies extended from Saturday Night Live sketches, A Night at the Roxbury hovers around the Stuart Saves His Family mark: not as gristly as It’s Pat, but not as lean as Wayne’s World, either. Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan once again don gold chains as Steve and Doug Butabi, head-bopping, disco-mad brothers who, truth be told, are far more jazzed by each other’s company than by scoring with any of the Playmate-shaped babes they ogle on the strobe-lit dance floor. (If disco weren’t already dead, these two would kill it faster than any party animal in 54.) The lame-o aspects of the whole campy setup are still lame-o. But weirdly, opening the story out to give the bros a bad-taste Beverly Hills home (with Dan Hedaya and Loni Anderson as clueless parents), ostensible career ambitions (to own a club that would let them in), and unlikely romantic possibilities (SNL’s Molly Shannon plays along as a girl hot for Steve) helps make the boys interestingly pathetic, not just obnoxious. Added flavorful ingredient: 21 Jump Street’s Richard Grieco plays himself. C-
A Night at the Roxbury On the Hamburger Helper continuum of high-fat-content feature-length comedies extended from Saturday Night Live sketches, A Night at...A Night at the RoxburyComedyPG-13 On the Hamburger Helper continuum of high-fat-content feature-length comedies extended from Saturday Night Live sketches, A Night at...1998-10-16
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Will Ferrell; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Metallica's Kirk Hammett lost his phone -- and 250 song ideas
- TV Land's Younger renewed for second season
- Watch the original 'The Making of Star Wars' documentary
- Adam Lambert premieres 'Ghost Town' lyric video
- Big Sean performs 'One Man Can Change The World' on 'Fallon'
- 'Notary Publix' sneak peek: Jay Pharoah joins Kate McKinnon's series
- Weezer fan club single 'Everybody Needs Salvation' is now available to... everybody
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!