This mock documentary about a late-’70s Black Flag-style Vancouver punk band, whose members reunite for a five-city tour of western Canada, sounds like a thrash version of This Is Spinal Tap, and it sort of is, with a twist: The director, Bruce McDonald, isn’t just out for laughts — he looks at these aging misfits, playing the same beer-soaked bars and life-sucks anthems they did 15 years ago, and he wants you to see them as noble losers. Their Mohawked leader, Joe Dick (Hugh Dillon), who resembles a blank-generation Bruce Willis, attempts to silence all comers with a Sid Viciousy sneer that looks more than a bit pathetic on a guy who’s pushing 35. Joe’s refusal to sell out is his doom; he’s a cult rock star turned cult human being. Hard Core Logo isn’t nearly as funny as Spinal Tap (or as gleeful in its detail as Rusty Cundieff’s overlooked 1994 rap mockumentary, Fear of a Black Hat), but it has still been thought out in satiric, rather than dramatic, terms. Most of the characters are too goofy to register. Still, there are times when Dillon’s performance lays bare why, for sheer style, burning out will always have th eedge over fading away. B-
Hard Core Logo This mock documentary about a late-'70s Black Flag-style Vancouver punk band, whose members reunite for a five-city tour of western Canada, sounds like...Hard Core LogoComedy, Drama, MusicalR This mock documentary about a late-'70s Black Flag-style Vancouver punk band, whose members reunite for a five-city tour of western Canada, sounds like...1998-11-27
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Musical; Starring: Dan Fazzio, Hugh Dillion, Callum Keith Rennie; Director: Bruce McDonald; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 27 1998 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony