Is there a need to add nearly an hour to the already 160 minutes long The Last Emperor when Bernardo Bertolucci loaded up on Academy Awards a decade ago? No, there is not. Does this 219-minute director’s cut look so different, to a casual re-visitor, from the 1987 epic that made a star of John Lone, playing the title role? Not really. But neither is the film’s Zen-slow pace a burden. Rather, the expanse of time is saturated with an expanse of visual beauty that feels absolutely right for the story, that of a human caged bird who, tragically, loses all sense of direction once he’s kicked from his magnificently gilded cage. The relationship between the royal student and his Western tutor (Peter O’Toole, a vision of compassion and British rectitude) is given all the time required to catalog the mysteries of East-meets-West. And the added hour affords Bertolucci even more time to marvel, in his most voluptuous style, at every cloud, grasshopper, and broom-pushing peasant when not telling the astonishing story of Pu Yi, Lord of Ten Thousand Years, one-man symbol of the history of modern China. B+
The Last Emperor Is there a need to add nearly an hour to the already 160 minutes long The Last Emperor when Bernardo Bertolucci loaded up on Academy...The Last EmperorDrama, HistoricalBernardo BertolucciPT160M Is there a need to add nearly an hour to the already 160 minutes long The Last Emperor when Bernardo Bertolucci loaded up on Academy...1998-12-04Columbia Pictures
Genre: Drama, Historical; Starring: Joan Chen, John Lone, Peter O'Toole; Director: Bernardo Bertolucci; Author: Bernardo Bertolucci; Runtime (in minutes): 160; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!