Your average winter cold follows a less predictable course than the big-budget, small-payoff sci-fi thriller Virus, in which a menacing otherworldly life force (lifted from Alien) takes up residence on a derelict Russian ship (hinting at Titanic) and hunts down the humans who board to investigate (the aliens think people are the virus). One’s a mad captain (Donald Sutherland, channeling Jaws’ Robert Shaw), one’s a physically fit admiral’s daughter (Jamie Lee Curtis, denied a personality), one’s a Baldwin brother (William, ditto), and there’s nothing this team screams that hasn’t been screamed before. Still, as we’ve-got-to-get-off-this-ship actioners go, this one has its moments; first-time feature director John Bruno handled special effects on many slicker projects (like True Lies) to get here, and he emphasizes the aliens’ deceptively sprightly gizmo construction, masking evil as random as a sudden sore throat. C-
Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: William Baldwin, Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Sutherland; Author: Dennis Feldman, Chuck Pfarrer; Release Date Wide: 01/15/1999; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal Home Video
Posted February 5 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!