When the gem, Rushmore, was released for a week at the end of December — so Bill Murray could qualify, in a just world, for an Oscar nomination — you probably missed it. Now’s the time to make tracks. Wes Anderson’s exuberantly original comedy stars gifted newcomer Jason Schwartzman as Max Fischer, who may be one of the worst students at Rushmore Academy, but who has breathtaking self-confidence and ambitious plans to win the heart of a teacher (Olivia Williams). Murray plays a depressive tycoon and Rushmore benefactor who befriends Max — the bond between dreamers is instant — until the two become romantic competitors for the same pink-cheeked woman. The director treats eccentricity with compassionate respect: no winking, no nudges to even like the boy. The filmmaking, meanwhile, is beautifully disciplined. And the perfectly chosen soundtrack of British Invasion hits further defines Max’s adolescent dislocation. A
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Olivia Williams, Seymour Cassel, Brian Cox, Mason Gamble, Luke Wilson; Director: Wes Anderson; Author: Wes Anderson, Owen Wilson; Producer (group): American Empirical, Touchstone Pictures, Walt Disney Productions; Release Date Wide: 02/05/1999; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted February 12 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big