Are you hearing things? The music accompanying the spot for AT&T’s Personal Network sounds so suspiciously like Madonna’s ”Ray of Light” that a lawsuit may seem inevitable. Well, hold on to your litigation: The music really is ”Ray of Light,” and the Material Girl actually gave the corporate giant permission to use her material. ”We thought [getting the song] was a long shot,” says Ted Littleford, executive creative director of Foote, Cone & Belding New York, which came up with the spot. ”It was a great coup.” Littleford won’t say how much AT&T paid to express itself, but you can bet it was considerably more than your last phone bill. For her part, Madonna, who is hardly accustomed to licensing her songs for commercial use (let alone one still in heavy rotation), is comfortable with having the tune double as a jingle. ”The song is about communication and modern technology,” she says, ”so I think it’s the perfect combination.” Note to Mrs. Paul’s: ”Frozen” is ready and waiting.
Posted March 5 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!