Are you hearing things? The music accompanying the spot for AT&T’s Personal Network sounds so suspiciously like Madonna’s ”Ray of Light” that a lawsuit may seem inevitable. Well, hold on to your litigation: The music really is ”Ray of Light,” and the Material Girl actually gave the corporate giant permission to use her material. ”We thought [getting the song] was a long shot,” says Ted Littleford, executive creative director of Foote, Cone & Belding New York, which came up with the spot. ”It was a great coup.” Littleford won’t say how much AT&T paid to express itself, but you can bet it was considerably more than your last phone bill. For her part, Madonna, who is hardly accustomed to licensing her songs for commercial use (let alone one still in heavy rotation), is comfortable with having the tune double as a jingle. ”The song is about communication and modern technology,” she says, ”so I think it’s the perfect combination.” Note to Mrs. Paul’s: ”Frozen” is ready and waiting.
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- The new Hamburglar is hot, and that's kind of a problem
- Sony yanks Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Hozier, more from SoundCloud -- report
- ABC Family casts Katherine McNamara as 'Shadowhunters' lead
- Supergirl officially gets CBS series order
- 'Ant-Man' to play at Montreal's Fantasia Festival
- Gwar is releasing an official book about Gwar
- Netflix releases trailer for 'The Other One: The Long, Strange Trip of Bob Weir' documentary
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!