Numbingly beautiful, numbingly long, the director’s cut of Bernardo Bertolucci’s 1987 Best Picture winner clocks in at a taxing 218 minutes, with the extra hour mainly devoted to unnecessary extended footage of sumptuous chinoiserie. B+
Genre: Drama, Historical; Starring: Joan Chen, John Lone, Peter O'Toole; Director: Bernardo Bertolucci; Author: Bernardo Bertolucci; Runtime (in minutes): 160; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted March 5 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!