Making art isn’t easy — just ask the creators of Notting Hill. In the flick, to prove her love, a high-powered movie star (Julia Roberts) gives a bookseller (Hugh Grant) a rather lavish gift: La Mariee, a painting by Marc Chagall. Director Roger Michell says the work — of a floating bride and a violin-playing goat — was chosen because Chagall is a favorite of screenwriter Richard Curtis’ and because the painting ”depicts a yearning for something that’s lost.” However, creating the faux Chagall — and the one used in the film is a fake; some experts say the real canvas could be worth between $500,000 and $1 million — proved nearly as difficult as deciphering Picasso. First ”we had to get permission from the painting’s owners,” says Michell. ”It was in a private collection in Japan.” Then producer Duncan Kenworthy had to get clearance from the U.K.- based Design and Artists Copyright Society. And then, says Kenworthy, ”we had to agree to destroy it. They were concerned that if our fake was too good, it might float around the market and create problems.” Thus, two months ago, Kenworthy tore the sham Chagall to shreds. ”I thought maybe I’d keep a little piece of it, but it smeared all over my hands,” says Kenworthy. ”It was a bit of a mess.” Just like true love.
Posted June 11 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- Fear the Walking Dead producers reveal how much time season 1 will cover
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- Patrick Stewart on cocaine is hilarious in 'Blunt Talk' trailer
- Wrestling great Roddy Piper dies
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!