Seems even TV’s No. 1 show is due for some minor surgery. Look for faltering NBC juggernaut ER — which lost 16 percent of its viewers last season — to make some staff changes in the fall. According to sources close to the series, Gloria Reuben — who plays multiple-malady-stricken nurse Jeannie Boulet — is in talks to exit during the season. The producers are now debating how she’d be written out. Meanwhile, first-season resident Ming-Na Wen — who left the show to join NBC sitcom The Single Guy (somebody needs a new agent, stat!) — is set to don her ER scrubs again. A spokesperson for the series refused to comment, saying only, ”We’re still working things out.” Plans are confirmed, however, to add an elder voice of wisdom to the hospital staff. Donald Sutherland and Sidney Poitier were considered, ”but it’s not going to happen with them,” says the spokesperson. ”We’re still trying to cast that character.”
Posted July 16 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Grammy nominations 2017: Kelly Clarkson, The Chainsmokers, more react
- 'Stranger Things' soundtracks score Grammy nods
- Katie Holmes on taking the reins for her directorial debut 'All We Had'
- 'Below Deck' season finale sneak peek teases Ben and Kate clashing
- Game of Thrones actor Peter Vaughan dies at 93
- Trevor Noah blames Donald Trump's advisors for enabling his tweeting
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' teaser trailer broke a Marvel record
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'