”David Stone had it all,” the voice-over intones as the trailer begins. ”A great job. A new phone. And a woman of his dreams. Until one day he lost his head.” Unlike a lot of Hollywood films, the trailer for The Man With No Head, a love story about a decapitated car-crash victim, is supposed to sound over-the-top. It’s one of more than a dozen parodies on Trailervision (www.trailervision.com), a streaming audio-video site that deftly — and, sometimes, hilariously — lampoons the bombastic sizzle of the average 90-second movie clip. Created by Toronto director Albert Nerenberg, 36, Trailervision features teasers for a variety of genre flicks that don’t exist. In the clip for the male-sexploitation film Girls Rule, riot grrrls run the planet, cancel Monday Night Football, and drag men on leashes after a world war. Y2K satirizes disaster movies with a hypothetical millennial meltdown. Nerenberg, known in Canada for his Michael Moore-meets-Tom Green-style man-in-the-street interviews on television, hopes Trailervision will bring him a wider audience that appreciates the crass absurdity of Tinseltown self-promotion. ”Trailers are a medium for the next millennium,” Nerenberg enthuses, ”fast, furious, and delivered in a bite-size, downloadable format.” Next up: The Murder of Jar Jar Binks. Coming never to a theater near you.
Posted July 23 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!