”Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover” was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ”As I Lay Me Down” was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries harder for Art. Probing identity and friendship, declaring love like war, Sophie B. Hawkins goes lighter on the synthesizer moisturizers and instead plays her lusty, thin-voiced, codependent rock-star-next-door image against fine-boned Lilith Fair chamber pop. It’s emotionally bold and intermittently charming, but still more Lifetime than Bravo. C+
Timbre ''Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover'' was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ''As I Lay Me Down'' was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries...Timbre ''Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover'' was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ''As I Lay Me Down'' was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries...1999-07-23
Lead Performer: Sophie B. Hawkins
Posted July 23 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts 'The Martian' promo
- 6 new things we know about Janet Jackson's 'Unbreakable'
- Tom Hardy demonstrates his lip sync skills with Dubsmash
- Jon Hamm in talks to star in sci-fi drama 'Marjorie Prime'
- Can you name these VMA nominees based on just one photo?
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- See Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer dance on Billy Joel's piano
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!