”Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover” was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ”As I Lay Me Down” was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries harder for Art. Probing identity and friendship, declaring love like war, Sophie B. Hawkins goes lighter on the synthesizer moisturizers and instead plays her lusty, thin-voiced, codependent rock-star-next-door image against fine-boned Lilith Fair chamber pop. It’s emotionally bold and intermittently charming, but still more Lifetime than Bravo. C+
Timbre ''Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover'' was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ''As I Lay Me Down'' was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries...Timbre ''Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover'' was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ''As I Lay Me Down'' was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries...1999-07-23
Lead Performer: Sophie B. Hawkins
Posted July 23 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Lights Out' sequel is in early stages at New Line
- 'Ghostbusters' Twitter account endorses Hillary Clinton: '#ImWithHer'
- Brie Larson opens up about 'nerve-racking' Captain Marvel reveal
- Disney's live-action 'Nutcracker' casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- WATCH: Anthony Anderson sings in 'Doc McStuffins' season premiere
- Donald Trump sent cease and desist letter from The O'Jays
- 'Stranger Things' bosses tease 'darker' season 2
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels