”Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover” was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ”As I Lay Me Down” was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries harder for Art. Probing identity and friendship, declaring love like war, Sophie B. Hawkins goes lighter on the synthesizer moisturizers and instead plays her lusty, thin-voiced, codependent rock-star-next-door image against fine-boned Lilith Fair chamber pop. It’s emotionally bold and intermittently charming, but still more Lifetime than Bravo. C+
Timbre ''Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover'' was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ''As I Lay Me Down'' was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries...Timbre ''Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover'' was R&B Cool Whip; the ubiquitous ''As I Lay Me Down'' was like a Hallmark prayer. Timbre tries...1999-07-23
Lead Performer: Sophie B. Hawkins
Posted July 23 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!