The incomprehensibility of the title, The Velocity of Gary * (*not his real name), is nothing compared with the labored artsiness and heaps o’ high-pitched acting in this tortured drama — originally (and no doubt more effectively) a solo theater piece by James Still about a bisexual porn actor dying of AIDS, and the man and woman who love him. The usually well-tuned Vincent D’Onofrio, with long, greasy Dracula hair, plays the ailing Valentino, smooching sloppily with Thomas Jane (The Thin Red Line) as the street hustler Gary, and canoodling with Salma Hayek as a tough diner waitress so bursting with life, she’s most comfortable only in a bra. A deaf drag queen who lip-synchs to Patsy Cline has nothing to do with the story, but totters through anyway. D
Posted July 23 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!