On TV, Cheers and St. Elsewhere, two struggling freshman NBC shows, are nominated for Best Comedy and Best Drama Emmys, respectively. Cheers goes on to win. At the movies, National Lampoon’s Vacation is the top destination for audiences. In music, the Police’s stalker anthem ”Every Breath You Take” is the No. 1 pop single. And in the news, the St. Louis Cardinals and the Minnesota Vikings go to England for an exhibition game of ”American football” at Wembley Stadium. The NFL’s European debut is a hit as the Vikings go on to win, 28-10.
Posted July 30 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Timberlake's illegal voting booth selfie is 'under review'
- 'This Is Us' preview: Creator Dan Fogelman on 'The Game Plan'
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid perform Justin Bieber's 'Baby'
- Bob Saget teases 'Fuller House' Thanksgiving episode with new photo
- Donald Trump says he has ‘no interest’ in Trump TV
- Australian 'Bachelor' contestants fall in love with each other
- Amy Schumer responds to backlash from 'Formation' parody video
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop