Clint Howard is many things to many people: character actor, MTV Lifetime Achievement Award winner, Ron Howard’s brother. But, as these five projects prove, the one thing he does better than perhaps any other performer is wear a headset.
– Marc Bernardin
– APOLLO 13 Howard mans a desk at Mission Control as a technonaut trying to bring Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) and his crew back to Earth. PROFOUND WORDS: ”The Odyssey is dying. From my chair here, this is the last option.”
– THAT THING YOU DO! As a crusty DJ for KJZZ, Howard helps a record exec (Hanks again!) spread the news about the Wonders, a fresh rock group. PROFOUND WORDS: ”That’s wild.”
– AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY Howard’s lowly radar operator is the first to spy Dr. Evil’s cryogenic escape pod headed toward Earth. PROFOUND WORDS: ”Well, it appears to be in the shape of a Big Boy.”
– FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON Back at NASA, back working on the Apollo 13 problem (in a miniseries produced by – who else? – Hanks), Howard manages to wear his headset into the can. PROFOUND WORDS: ”It’s, like, forget about the astronauts, we got politics to worry about.”
– EDTV Howard cracks wise as a mobile reality-TV director trying to stay on the heels of a spotlight-dodging Matthew McConaughey (see review on page 132). PROFOUND WORDS: ”I’m not a lawyer, I’m just a guy who eats three meals a day in this truck.”