For just a few thousand dollars, such choice roles as ”Destiny: (18-22) Daughter of a pharmacist. Very perky body” or ”Man in Car: (35) Stereo type [sic] homosexual” can be yours – by logging on to eBay.com and perusing the list for the upcoming film Kissing Strangers. Director and Malibu Film Festival founder David Katz is auctioning off roles in the dating tale he calls ”a mix of Swingers and The Crying Game.” Bidding starts at $2,000, but if it’s hard to imagine future Vince Vaughns and Gwyneth Paltrows taking this pricey path, Katz insists he’s created ”a safeguard” by demanding an acting reel or audition from the highest bidders. Those who don’t make the cut recoup 98 percent, with the rest covering eBay’s fees. So far, only ”Dean: (22-30) The mail-room clerk and longtime friend of Max” has sold, for $3,500: Hopefuls can learn more at malibufilm festival.org/DavidKatzProductions. And what does the traditional casting community think of such gimmicks? Shrugs the Casting Company’s Jane Jenkins: ”If I thought [Katz] was someone…in whose hands I would benefit as an actor, I suppose it’s as good a way of getting seen as any other. That’s the name of the game.” As long as there are no virtual couches.
Posted August 20 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Julie Chen on 'Big Brother' showmances: 'Go for it!'
- Leonardo DiCaprio to play rock and roll innovator Sam Phillips
- 'Teen Wolf' cast added to EW PopFest lineup
- Donald Glover to play young Lando Calrissian in Han Solo movie
- Documentary sequel 'You've Been Trumped, Too' to be released next week