Remember when singers used to croon about love and loss? No more. The favorite topic in these entertainment-glutted times: movie stars. Yes, musicians are dropping more names than Liz Smith – and sometimes just as cattily. Herewith, a peek.
* Song ”That Don’t Impress Me Much” by Shania Twain Name-Dropping Lyric ”Okay, so you’re Brad Pitt/That don’t impress me much” Harsh-O-Meter Vicious. Was Gwyneth a ghostwriter?
* Song ”If I Had a $1,000,000” by Barenaked Ladies Name-Dropping Lyric ”If I had a $1,000,000/I’d buy you John Davidson’s remains” Harsh-O-Meter Deadly. The TV career of the ”That’s Incredible!” host may be dead, but he’s still hanging on in real life.
* Song ”Hey Leonardo” by Blessid Union of Souls Name-Dropping Lyric ”She likes me for me/Not because I hang with Leonardo” Harsh-O-Meter Medium. Leo reportedly doesn’t like the song for the song.
* Song ”Summer Girls” by LFO Name-Dropping Lyric ”Fell deep in love but now we ain’t speakin’/Michael J. Fox was Alex P. Keaton” Harsh-O-Meter Neutral. These non-sequitur-loving rappers could use a new rhyming dictionary.
* Song ”Lullaby” by Shawn Mullins Name-Dropping Lyric ”Her parents threw big parties/Everyone was there/They hung out with folks like Dennis Hopper.” Harsh-O-Meter So-so. The ”Easy Rider” rebel is now just some old guy with a cocktail napkin.