Unwatchable. Why would a director as gifted as Alan Rudolph (Afterglow) want to make the world’s most interminable used-car salesman joke? Kurt Vonnegut’s 1973 doodle-mad satire is probably unfilmable, but Rudolph doesn’t even get Breakfast of Champions’s playful pop-throwaway spirit. The movie is two hours of Bruce Willis mugging like a genial jackass as he’s shoved through one shrill, broad, mechanically derisive setup after another. Willis plays suburban auto honcho Dwayne Hoover, who thinks he’s losing his mind, and Nick Nolte is his closet-transvestite assistant manager. As the dilapidated sci-fi writer Kilgore Trout, Albert Finney looks like he’s trying to win the homeless-mumbler sweepstakes. What thrived in the book was Vonnegut’s portrait of post-counterculture America turned into an ironic landscape of happy-face consumerism. Rudolph, in an act of insane folly, seems to think that what matters is the story. The result could almost be his version of a Robert Altman disaster — a movie so unhinged it practically dares you not to hate it.
Breakfast Of Champions Unwatchable. Why would a director as gifted as Alan Rudolph (Afterglow) want to make the world's most interminable used-car salesman joke? ...Breakfast Of ChampionsComedyAlan RudolphPT110MR Unwatchable. Why would a director as gifted as Alan Rudolph (Afterglow) want to make the world's most interminable used-car salesman joke? ...1999-10-01Albert FinneyLukas HaasGlenne HeadlyBarbara HersheyNick NolteAlbert Finney, Lukas Haas, Glenne Headly, Barbara Hershey, Nick Nolte
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Bruce Willis, Albert Finney, Lukas Haas, Glenne Headly, Barbara Hershey, Nick Nolte; Director: Alan Rudolph; Author: Alan Rudolph; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 1 1999 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!