Unwatchable. Why would a director as gifted as Alan Rudolph (Afterglow) want to make the world’s most interminable used-car salesman joke? Kurt Vonnegut’s 1973 doodle-mad satire is probably unfilmable, but Rudolph doesn’t even get Breakfast of Champions’s playful pop-throwaway spirit. The movie is two hours of Bruce Willis mugging like a genial jackass as he’s shoved through one shrill, broad, mechanically derisive setup after another. Willis plays suburban auto honcho Dwayne Hoover, who thinks he’s losing his mind, and Nick Nolte is his closet-transvestite assistant manager. As the dilapidated sci-fi writer Kilgore Trout, Albert Finney looks like he’s trying to win the homeless-mumbler sweepstakes. What thrived in the book was Vonnegut’s portrait of post-counterculture America turned into an ironic landscape of happy-face consumerism. Rudolph, in an act of insane folly, seems to think that what matters is the story. The result could almost be his version of a Robert Altman disaster — a movie so unhinged it practically dares you not to hate it.
Breakfast Of Champions Unwatchable. Why would a director as gifted as Alan Rudolph (Afterglow) want to make the world's most interminable used-car salesman joke? ...Breakfast Of ChampionsComedyAlan RudolphPT110MR Unwatchable. Why would a director as gifted as Alan Rudolph (Afterglow) want to make the world's most interminable used-car salesman joke? ...1999-10-01Albert FinneyLukas HaasGlenne HeadlyBarbara HersheyNick NolteAlbert Finney, Lukas Haas, Glenne Headly, Barbara Hershey, Nick Nolte
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Bruce Willis, Albert Finney, Lukas Haas, Glenne Headly, Barbara Hershey, Nick Nolte; Director: Alan Rudolph; Author: Alan Rudolph; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Master Chief meets his match in first 'Halo 5' trailers
- Watch Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show' segments
- ACM Awards add Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, surprise duet with Christina Aguilera
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!