The most excitingly original movie of the year. It’s set in a casually surreal version of the everyday, where puppeteer Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) discovers a portal that sucks him into the mind of John Malkovich. Before long, Craig, his wife (Cameron Diaz), and a diamond-hard office vixen (Catherine Keener) are using Malkovich as a host body, layering their identities on top of his. Director Spike Jonze works in a bustling yet deadpan pretzel-logic style, so that you never question the reality of what you’re seeing. Welcome, Jonze seems to say, to your own role-scrambled head: the 21st-century Wonderland. A
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener, John Malkovich; Guest Performer: Brad Pitt; Director: Spike Jonze; Author: Charlie Kaufman; Producer (group): Gramercy Pictures, Propaganda Films, Single Cell Pictures; Release Date Wide: 10/29/1999; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Gramercy Pictures
Posted November 12 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!