The most excitingly original movie of the year. It’s set in a casually surreal version of the everyday, where puppeteer Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) discovers a portal that sucks him into the mind of John Malkovich. Before long, Craig, his wife (Cameron Diaz), and a diamond-hard office vixen (Catherine Keener) are using Malkovich as a host body, layering their identities on top of his. Director Spike Jonze works in a bustling yet deadpan pretzel-logic style, so that you never question the reality of what you’re seeing. Welcome, Jonze seems to say, to your own role-scrambled head: the 21st-century Wonderland. A
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener, John Malkovich; Guest Performer: Brad Pitt; Director: Spike Jonze; Author: Charlie Kaufman; Producer (group): Gramercy Pictures, Propaganda Films, Single Cell Pictures; Release Date Wide: 10/29/1999; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Gramercy Pictures
Posted November 12 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!