In Michael Mann’s engrossing exercise in ’70s-conspiracy-movie nostalgia, Lowell Bergman (Al Pacino), a producer at 60 Minutes, makes contact with a chemist named Jeffrey Wigand (Russell Crowe) and convinces him to reveal that tobacco companies fiddled with the nicotine content of cigarettes. The movie, which anatomizes the corporate-media culture as an ominous vertical system, presents CBS’ decision not to run the story as the end of Western journalistic integrity as we know it. Except that the system didn’t fail—it triumphed. (It was 60 Minutes that failed.) The Insider is a good but far from great movie because it presents truth telling in America as far more imperiled than it is. As Mike Wallace, Christopher Plummer is the juicy quintessence of ham. B
The Insider In Michael Mann's engrossing exercise in '70s-conspiracy-movie nostalgia, Lowell Bergman (Al Pacino), a producer at 60 Minutes, makes contact...The InsiderMystery and Thriller, Drama, HistoricalR In Michael Mann's engrossing exercise in '70s-conspiracy-movie nostalgia, Lowell Bergman (Al Pacino), a producer at 60 Minutes, makes contact...1999-11-12Michael Gambon
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama, Historical; Starring: Russell Crowe, Al Pacino, Michael Gambon; Director: Michael Mann; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 12 1999 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!