Acting on that first lesson of parenting – when all else fails, try bribery – this sensational site sponsored in part by Sylvan Learning Foundation rewards children for reading. Cheered by the promise of free candy bars and rounds of miniature golf, my own kids headed for the Quiz-O-Matic to answer multiple-choice questions about books they had already read, breezed through the quizzes, and actually went back to their books when they didn’t know the answers. If the site can continue to add new books (where is Harry Potter, by the way?) and prizes, the term ”reluctant readers” may happily become an expression of the past.
Posted February 12 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?