Although he won’t shock Western ears, the son of late Nigerian legend Fela Kuti takes a cue from his revolutionary father by rocking the party AND politics. On ”Shoki Shoki” he brilliantly forges a link between Afrobeat and James Brown, spicing his percussive stew with acid jazz, hip-hop, and soul flavor while remaining true to his roots, proving himself an able ambassador to all rhythm nations. A-
ACTIVE SAX LIFE Kuti blends disparate elements to form an elegant sound on his l
Lead Performer: Femi Kuti; Producer (group): MCA
Posted February 14 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Titanfall 2's launch trailer lands with a big 'Bang Bang'
- Lady Gaga to perform at the 2016 American Music Awards
- 'This Is Us' star on tonight's ep: 'We meet Jack in the present day'
- Chris Martin sings with kids Apple and Moses at charity event
- Watch the trailer for 'I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House'
- Michael Phelps brings his Phelps Face to new 'Call of Duty' trailer
- ABC cuts 'Notorious' order, possibly first canceled show