In Jazz on a Summer’s Day, a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival — the sole film by Bert Stern — the storied photographer multiplies pleasures by crossbreeding art forms. To watch, say, sailboats serenely shoot through Newport Bay as Thelonious Monk finds God on the piano is to have the (crisply remastered) image, the (supple Dolby) sound, and your soul all crazily enriched. Plus, there’s lyrical observation of mid-20th-century Homo sapiens — some of them wearing polka-dotted dresses in the afternoon sun — and a thoughtful behind-the-scenes short, A Summer’s Day With Bert Stern. A
Jazz on a Summer's DayIn Jazz on a Summer's Day, a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival — the sole film by Bert Stern — the storied...Jazz on a Summer's DayMusical, DocumentaryPT84MUnratedIn Jazz on a Summer's Day, a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival — the sole film by Bert Stern — the storied...2000-03-17New Yorker
Genre: Musical, Documentary; Director: Aram Avakian, Bert Stern; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: New Yorker
Posted March 17 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- Leonard Nimoy, veteran actor beloved as Mr. Spock on 'Star Trek,' dies at 83
- 'Mortal Kombat X' story trailer jumps to the future, introduces a new generation of fighters
- Gary Glitter gets 16 years of jail time
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'I Really Like You'--with Tom Hanks?!
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' finale strong -- even without 'Scandal'
- Neill Blomkamp has 'Elysium' regrets
- 'Justified': Erica Tazel talks Rachel's past
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!