In Jazz on a Summer’s Day, a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival — the sole film by Bert Stern — the storied photographer multiplies pleasures by crossbreeding art forms. To watch, say, sailboats serenely shoot through Newport Bay as Thelonious Monk finds God on the piano is to have the (crisply remastered) image, the (supple Dolby) sound, and your soul all crazily enriched. Plus, there’s lyrical observation of mid-20th-century Homo sapiens — some of them wearing polka-dotted dresses in the afternoon sun — and a thoughtful behind-the-scenes short, A Summer’s Day With Bert Stern. A
Jazz on a Summer's DayIn Jazz on a Summer's Day, a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival — the sole film by Bert Stern — the storied...Jazz on a Summer's DayMusical, DocumentaryPT84MUnratedIn Jazz on a Summer's Day, a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival — the sole film by Bert Stern — the storied...2000-03-17New Yorker
Genre: Musical, Documentary; Director: Aram Avakian, Bert Stern; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: New Yorker
Posted March 17 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig get batty in 'Spy' Blu-ray clip
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' doesn't need McDreamy
- Tom Hardy brought his dog to the premiere of 'Legend'
- Just how well do you know 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?
- A-trak looks back on Fool's Gold Day Off's 5th birthday
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!