Roman Polanski’s effete supernatural yarn about a cagey rare-book dealer (Johnny Depp) tormented by catastrophes while tracking down books about the Devil for a collector (Frank Langella) gives off the aroma of art-house Euro-rot, a whiff of decay and hauteur. And, like pages falling out of an old tome, the movie comes unglued slowly, while Polanski indulges his taste for creepy voluptuousness.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Johnny Depp, Frank Langella, Lena Olin; Director: Roman Polanski; Author: Roman Polanski; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 125; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Artisan Entertainment
Posted March 24 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!