The breezy little volume Greene on Capri: A Memoir paints a sunny portrait of Graham Greene’s life ”on a Mediterranean rock.” Starting in the late 1960s, Shirley Hazzard, along with her husband, Francis Steegmuller, whiled away many a pleasant hour on the island of Capri with fellow author Greene. They met at cafes, sipped wine, discussed colleagues, art, and literature (Greene loved Sherlock Holmes), watched dolphins gambol in the sea, and critiqued movie adaptations of Greene’s novels. Capri’s magic clearly held Greene spellbound: Though the writer never bothered to learn Italian, by the time he sold his island home shortly before his death in 1991, he had been a presence there for more than 40 years. B
Greene On Capri: A Memoir The breezy little volume Greene on Capri: A Memoir paints a sunny portrait of Graham Greene's life ''on a Mediterranean rock.''...Greene On Capri: A MemoirNonfiction, BiographyShirley Hazzard The breezy little volume Greene on Capri: A Memoir paints a sunny portrait of Graham Greene's life ''on a Mediterranean rock.''...2000-03-31Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Shirley Hazzard; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted March 31 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- 'Major League' star Margaret Whitton dies at 67
- 'Supergirl': Will we ever meet Earth-1 Kara Danvers?
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday