Those suggestive lyrics, that boombastic Max Martin production, those coy-nymphet come-ons, those ellipses: No, it’s not ”…Baby One More Time,” but a single so close to Britney Spears’ first hit that she could sue herself for plagiarism. As a statement of purpose, the single ”Oops!… I Did It Again” — on which Spears confesses ”I’m not that innocent” after leading a boy on — may be the supreme tart-pop anthem. But as music, it’s just a faded Xerox.
EYE ON THE REPRISE Spears revisits past glory on her new single
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Britney Spears; Producer (group): Jive Records
Posted April 21 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!