It’s the biggest monkey-related news since Koko the Talking Gorilla: Mark Wahlberg has just been cast in Twentieth Century Fox’s upcoming Planet of the Apes as Col. George Taylor, following in the bare footsteps of the mighty Charlton Heston. Which is interesting, since at last month’s MTV Movie Awards Wahlberg ad-libbed the following: ”Let’s give [the Best Villain trophy] to Charlton Heston for being the head of the NRA.” So does Heston think his replacement’s a damned dirty pacifist? ”We live in a free country, and you have the right to shoot your mouth off,” says Heston diplomatically. ”Freedom of speech, that’s the First Amendment. And the right to bear arms is the Second.” Heston says he doesn’t know Wahlberg’s work but is ”sure [Wahlberg] will be good” in the Tim Burton-directed reinterpretation. Heston even has a helpful hint for the Perfect Storm star, who wasn’t available for comment: ”He’s got to have them design some fake naked feet…or he’ll get killed running around on the rocks. You pass that on to him.”
Posted July 14 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- 6 show-stopping highlights from 'VH1 Divas: Unsilent Night'
- Twitter's #MakeABandLazy helps musicians settle in for a nap
- Elton John confirms there is 'no truth' to retirement rumors
- Powerful new ad spotlights gun violence warning signs people miss
- Mark Wahlberg feels 'celebrities did, do, and shouldn't' talk about politics
- Jennifer Lawrence blames her butt for almost killing 'Hunger Games’ crew
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big