Why settle for a cell phone that just rings when you can be alerted to a call by the whistling chorus of Jay-Z’s ”Big Pimpin”’? YourMobile.com has been offering customized rings for nearly four months, and already 2.5 million tone seekers (mostly guys ages 15 to 25) around the world have logged on. Top tones change daily, but include hits from Cher, Eminem, Limp Bizkit, and Moby. The appeal? ”Most of the time, we’re embarrassed if our phone rings,” says Mobile CEO Anthony Stonefield. ”But if there’s an interesting tone, you say, ‘Let it ring. Let everyone thoroughly soak in how cool I am!”’ Or conversely, what a geek you truly are.
Posted August 18 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hear the intoxicating theme from Tom Ford's 'Nocturnal Animals'
- Read an excerpt from Ann Brashares's new novel
- This Week’s Cover: Steven Yeun of 'The Walking Dead' on Glenn's brutal death
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Marika Dominczyk makes her debut — exclusive first look
- ABBA launching 'digital experience' featuring virtual reality
- 'Rectify' creator previews 'emotionally unencumbering' final season
- Kim Kardashian resumes filming 'KUWTK' after Paris robbery
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like