You might not think feminist essays from the 1970s would be a natural fit for Modern Library’s new Humor & Wit series, but that shows how much you know. Turns out Nora Ephron’s Crazy Salad — a collection of pieces written long before she was a successful Hollywood director, back when she was slumming as a magazine scribe covering the women’s movement for Esquire — is coiled with crabby wit and snide intelligence. Granted, some of the pieces in this book, first published in 1975, have grown gray around the edges (her essay on Shirley Chisholm as a possible VP on George McGovern’s 1972 ticket is a creaker). But most are still-fresh journalistic masterpieces, like her takedown of the Pillsbury cooking contest (tartly titled ”Baking Off”) and a piece called ”Vaginal Politics,” in which Ephron examines do-it-yourself gynecology courses. ”We have lived through the era when happiness was a warm puppy,” she writes, ”and the era when happiness was a dry martini, and now we have come to the era when happiness is ‘knowing what your uterus looks like.”’ Gloria Steinem was never this much fun. A
Crazy Salad You might not think feminist essays from the 1970s would be a natural fit for Modern Library's new Humor & Wit series, but that shows how much you...Crazy SaladComic Novels, EssaysNora Ephron You might not think feminist essays from the 1970s would be a natural fit for Modern Library's new Humor & Wit series, but that shows how much you...2000-09-15Modern Library
Genre: Comic Novels, Essays; Author: Nora Ephron; Publisher: Modern Library
Posted September 15 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Mindy Project' renewed for season 5
- New 'Top Gear' hosts Matt LeBlanc, Chris Evans already driving wildly in trailer
- Alicia Keys releases sultry new song 'In Common'
- 'The Path' renewed for season 2 on Hulu: Watch the latest episode here
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Does Lincoln have a death wish?
- 'The Craft' remake is actually a sequel, producer says
- Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani will perform new duet on 'The Voice'
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast