You might not think feminist essays from the 1970s would be a natural fit for Modern Library’s new Humor & Wit series, but that shows how much you know. Turns out Nora Ephron’s Crazy Salad — a collection of pieces written long before she was a successful Hollywood director, back when she was slumming as a magazine scribe covering the women’s movement for Esquire — is coiled with crabby wit and snide intelligence. Granted, some of the pieces in this book, first published in 1975, have grown gray around the edges (her essay on Shirley Chisholm as a possible VP on George McGovern’s 1972 ticket is a creaker). But most are still-fresh journalistic masterpieces, like her takedown of the Pillsbury cooking contest (tartly titled ”Baking Off”) and a piece called ”Vaginal Politics,” in which Ephron examines do-it-yourself gynecology courses. ”We have lived through the era when happiness was a warm puppy,” she writes, ”and the era when happiness was a dry martini, and now we have come to the era when happiness is ‘knowing what your uterus looks like.”’ Gloria Steinem was never this much fun. A
Crazy Salad You might not think feminist essays from the 1970s would be a natural fit for Modern Library's new Humor & Wit series, but that shows how much you...Crazy SaladComic Novels, EssaysNora Ephron You might not think feminist essays from the 1970s would be a natural fit for Modern Library's new Humor & Wit series, but that shows how much you...2000-09-15Modern Library
Genre: Comic Novels, Essays; Author: Nora Ephron; Publisher: Modern Library
Posted September 15 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!