There’s a new girl in town … Well, sort of. Dan Finnerty, 30, is the self-proclaimed straight guy who sings songs by women (like Linda Lavin’s theme to TV’s Alice), and his Dan Band is one of the hottest tickets in Hollywood. ”It started off as a joke,” he admits about the cover-song fest. ”I thought singing ‘I Am Woman’ at karaoke was funny, then it just kept growing.” In addition to rocking as the house musicians on Oxygen’s Pajama Party, the Dan Band send up such ditties as Christina Aguilera’s ”Genie in a Bottle” and Wilson Phillips’ ”Hold On” at West Hollywood’s Largo nightclub — where Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, and Helen Hunt have all turned up to watch. ”I’m obsessed with the Dan Band,” says fan Laura Dern. ”In fact, I’m stalking them. It’s the best thing I’ve ever seen in my life, and I’ll go to every show they ever have.” Finnerty goes wide with a cover of ”A Groovy Kind of Love” on the soundtrack of Jennifer Lopez’s The Wedding Planner, in which he also has a cameo. How does the crooner — who’s married to Kathy Najimy — like his star-studded audiences? ”Gloria Steinem came to a show and walked in during ‘Gloria,”’ he beams. ”You can’t pray for that kind of s—!”
Posted September 15 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- 'Frozen' musical selects city for world premiere before Broadway
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996