Move over, thong! ”Tightie-whities” are back in an XXL way. The undie classic is popping up in men’s fashion mags, while a sweaty Tom Cruise (no stranger to the big-screen allure of briefs) sports ‘em in Magnolia, and Tommy Hilfiger’s new Times Square billboard features fashion hot-boy Jason Shaw in nothing but a pair of Skivvies. ”They’re an American institution,” says Midwesterner Shaw, 27. ”I grew up in a ‘tightie-whitie’ family.” And the trend isn’t just a dude thing. Style maven Sarah Jessica Parker wore Y-fronts in an episode of Sex and the City. Meanwhile, this November, Jockey — which introduced the cotton brief 66 years ago — will launch an ad campaign that includes women wearing men’s unmentionables. ”Now, that’s a sexy look,” says Shaw. ”Just like a man’s shirt can be sexy on a woman.” And imagine how much couples can save on underwear.
Posted September 22 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Trailers From Hell takes on 'The Incredible Melting Man'
- Rihanna responds to Beyonce feud rumors in Instagram comment
- Transformers: The Last Knight trailer tallies 100 million views online
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': The Legion of Doom assembles in winter finale
- 'Colony' adds 'ER' alum in season 2 — exclusive
- Michelle Obama spotlights veteran homelessness on Viceland's 'Balls Deep'
- 'The Expanse': Exclusive new look at season 2
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot