Tonéx, the D’Angelo of gospel, sings sanctified praises with a refreshingly edgy, hip-hop swagger on Pronounced toe-nay. But sometimes he takes it to an absurd extreme. Lyrics about smoking ”holy indo” and being ”funky fresh/’bouts to get blessed” sound like parody. And ”The 1u Need,” which he sings as a jilted Jesus trying to woo an ex-devotee, comes off like the last booty call of a holy man. C+
Pronounced Toe-nay Tonéx, the D'Angelo of gospel, sings sanctified praises with a refreshingly edgy, hip-hop swagger on Pronounced toe-nay. But...Pronounced Toe-nayHip-Hop/Rap Tonéx, the D'Angelo of gospel, sings sanctified praises with a refreshingly edgy, hip-hop swagger on Pronounced toe-nay. But...2000-09-29
Posted September 29 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Outlander' is becoming a war story, explains showrunner
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers