Tonéx, the D’Angelo of gospel, sings sanctified praises with a refreshingly edgy, hip-hop swagger on Pronounced toe-nay. But sometimes he takes it to an absurd extreme. Lyrics about smoking ”holy indo” and being ”funky fresh/’bouts to get blessed” sound like parody. And ”The 1u Need,” which he sings as a jilted Jesus trying to woo an ex-devotee, comes off like the last booty call of a holy man. C+
Pronounced Toe-nay Tonéx, the D'Angelo of gospel, sings sanctified praises with a refreshingly edgy, hip-hop swagger on Pronounced toe-nay. But...Pronounced Toe-nayHip-Hop/Rap Tonéx, the D'Angelo of gospel, sings sanctified praises with a refreshingly edgy, hip-hop swagger on Pronounced toe-nay. But...2000-09-29
Posted September 29 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!