In Keeping the Faith, his feature directorial debut, Edward Norton plays a priest whose best friend (Stiller) is a rabbi – and a competitor for the affections of their childhood friend (Jenna Elfman), all grown up and gorgeous. As likable as its three leads are, the film seems to suffer from its own crisis of faith: Earnest or slapstick? Romantic comedy or buddy picture? It’s like a two hour long priest -rabbi joke that – while amusing in the telling – is missing its punchline.
MEN OF THE CLOTH IN BLACK Stiller and Norton
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Edward Norton, Ben Stiller, Ron Rifkin; Director: Edward Norton; Producer (person): Edward Norton; Runtime (in minutes): 128; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Spyglass Entertainment
Posted October 17 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hailee Steinfeld joins the EW PopFest lineup
- Second 'Big Brother: Over the Top' evictee talks house divide
- Robert Redford, Casey Affleck to star in 'The Old Man and the Gun'
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Blacklist,' 'Arrow,' more
- President Obama names his favorite rappers
- Watch Eddie Redmayne show Benedict Cumberbatch a magic trick
- Chris Hemsworth pledges support for Dakota Access Pipeline protest