”The great horror movie without any horror in it” is production designer Richard Sylbert’s apt description of Roman Polanski’s creepily suggestive gothic about a pregnant Manhattan bride (Mia Farrow) who suspects that everyone — her callow husband (John Cassavetes), her nosy neighbor (Ruth Gordon, bulldozing her way to an Oscar), even her obstetrician — is colluding to ensure that her child-to-be is touched by the devil. Using New York’s famed apartment house the Dakota for all its cavernous shadowiness, and exploiting the 23-year-old Farrow’s tremulous space-child vulnerability to underscore her terror and solitude, Polanski worked with an elegant restraint that less talented filmmakers have been trying to mimic ever since. The polished repackaging Rosemary’s Baby: Collector’s Edition includes interviews with Polanski, Sylbert, and producer Robert Evans as well as the trippy on-set featurette ”Mia and Roman.” A-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: John Cassavetes, Mia Farrow; Director: Roman Polanski; Author: Roman Polanski; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted October 27 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- Alicia Keys returns with '28 Thousand Days'
- Jon Stewart reveals his final three 'Daily Show' guests
- 'Key & Peele' have a very 'awkward' conversation about pop-culture opinions
- Starz boss scolds TV critics over HBO 'feud': 'Shame ... behave yourselves'
- Coach Taylor wants you to 'turn your goddamn cell phones off' in new PSA
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!