”The great horror movie without any horror in it” is production designer Richard Sylbert’s apt description of Roman Polanski’s creepily suggestive gothic about a pregnant Manhattan bride (Mia Farrow) who suspects that everyone — her callow husband (John Cassavetes), her nosy neighbor (Ruth Gordon, bulldozing her way to an Oscar), even her obstetrician — is colluding to ensure that her child-to-be is touched by the devil. Using New York’s famed apartment house the Dakota for all its cavernous shadowiness, and exploiting the 23-year-old Farrow’s tremulous space-child vulnerability to underscore her terror and solitude, Polanski worked with an elegant restraint that less talented filmmakers have been trying to mimic ever since. The polished repackaging Rosemary’s Baby: Collector’s Edition includes interviews with Polanski, Sylbert, and producer Robert Evans as well as the trippy on-set featurette ”Mia and Roman.” A-
Rosemary's Baby: Collector's Edition ''The great horror movie without any horror in it'' is production designer Richard Sylbert's apt description of Roman Polanski's creepily suggestive...Rosemary's Baby: Collector's EditionMystery and ThrillerRoman PolanskiPT136MR ''The great horror movie without any horror in it'' is production designer Richard Sylbert's apt description of Roman Polanski's creepily suggestive...2000-10-27Paramount Home Video
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: John Cassavetes, Mia Farrow; Director: Roman Polanski; Author: Roman Polanski; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted October 27 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Beyoncé used New Orleans documentary footage 'with permission' in new 'Formation' video: rep
- Larry David hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Listen to Chrisette Michele's a cappella cover of Adele's 'Hello'
- 'Zoolander 2' tries to recreate the magic of Magnum in new clip
- Tony Goldwyn teases Fitz's state of mind in 'Scandal' return
- Lady Gaga says Super Bowl performance is one of the highest honors
- Beyonce surprises with powerful new single, 'Formation'