”The great horror movie without any horror in it” is production designer Richard Sylbert’s apt description of Roman Polanski’s creepily suggestive gothic about a pregnant Manhattan bride (Mia Farrow) who suspects that everyone — her callow husband (John Cassavetes), her nosy neighbor (Ruth Gordon, bulldozing her way to an Oscar), even her obstetrician — is colluding to ensure that her child-to-be is touched by the devil. Using New York’s famed apartment house the Dakota for all its cavernous shadowiness, and exploiting the 23-year-old Farrow’s tremulous space-child vulnerability to underscore her terror and solitude, Polanski worked with an elegant restraint that less talented filmmakers have been trying to mimic ever since. The polished repackaging Rosemary’s Baby: Collector’s Edition includes interviews with Polanski, Sylbert, and producer Robert Evans as well as the trippy on-set featurette ”Mia and Roman.” A-
Rosemary's Baby: Collector's Edition ''The great horror movie without any horror in it'' is production designer Richard Sylbert's apt description of Roman Polanski's creepily suggestive...Rosemary's Baby: Collector's EditionMystery and ThrillerRoman PolanskiPT136MR ''The great horror movie without any horror in it'' is production designer Richard Sylbert's apt description of Roman Polanski's creepily suggestive...2000-10-27Paramount Home Video
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: John Cassavetes, Mia Farrow; Director: Roman Polanski; Author: Roman Polanski; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted October 27 2000 — 12:00 AM EDT
- DNC: Chelsea Clinton references 'A Wrinkle in Time,' 'Police Academy'
- Hillary Clinton quotes 'Hamilton,' slams Trump in rousing DNC speech
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton
- Chloë Grace Moretz urges millennials to vote Hillary at DNC