It looks like the cat’s out of the bag — and headed for the big screen: Tim Allen is officially on board to star in an eerie film version of Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat. Though Ron Howard says he most likely will not direct, it was he and Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas producer Brian Grazer who secured Cat rights after five months of negotiations with Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel. The script will be based on a story conceived by Allen, who admits that as a child he was spooked by Seuss’s mischievous feline babysitter. ”My dream is to give it the edge that scared me,” says the actor of his darker tale. ”Like Alien, we’ll see very little of the cat. He’s a human being who turns into the cat — like a werewolf or vampire — as he gets more and more frustrated trying to deal with these children.” Giving Oh, the Places You’ll Go! a whole new meaning.
Posted November 24 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- A 'Back to the Future' remake? Over Robert Zemeckis's dead body.
- Jon Stewart takes on criticism against Supreme Court marriage equality decision
- Vanessa Bayer nails an impression of this 'Friends' character
- Kids share their thoughts on marriage equality on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Evangeline Lilly reveals pregnancy
- Julia Roberts seeks justice for an unspeakable murder in 'Secret in Their Eyes'
- Here's a supercut of movie characters flipping the bird