It looks like the cat’s out of the bag — and headed for the big screen: Tim Allen is officially on board to star in an eerie film version of Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat. Though Ron Howard says he most likely will not direct, it was he and Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas producer Brian Grazer who secured Cat rights after five months of negotiations with Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel. The script will be based on a story conceived by Allen, who admits that as a child he was spooked by Seuss’s mischievous feline babysitter. ”My dream is to give it the edge that scared me,” says the actor of his darker tale. ”Like Alien, we’ll see very little of the cat. He’s a human being who turns into the cat — like a werewolf or vampire — as he gets more and more frustrated trying to deal with these children.” Giving Oh, the Places You’ll Go! a whole new meaning.
Posted November 24 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Lip Sync Battle' bringing back celebrity champs for first live special
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- New York Film Festival: Carrie Fisher film joins documentary lineup
- 'The Royals' gets season 3 premiere date, shirtless Prince Liam pics
- Starz renews 'Survivor's Remorse' for season 4
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...