It looks like the cat’s out of the bag — and headed for the big screen: Tim Allen is officially on board to star in an eerie film version of Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat. Though Ron Howard says he most likely will not direct, it was he and Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas producer Brian Grazer who secured Cat rights after five months of negotiations with Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel. The script will be based on a story conceived by Allen, who admits that as a child he was spooked by Seuss’s mischievous feline babysitter. ”My dream is to give it the edge that scared me,” says the actor of his darker tale. ”Like Alien, we’ll see very little of the cat. He’s a human being who turns into the cat — like a werewolf or vampire — as he gets more and more frustrated trying to deal with these children.” Giving Oh, the Places You’ll Go! a whole new meaning.
Posted November 24 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- The CW eyes Arrow-Flash spin-off with superhero team-up
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!