It looks like the cat’s out of the bag — and headed for the big screen: Tim Allen is officially on board to star in an eerie film version of Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat. Though Ron Howard says he most likely will not direct, it was he and Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas producer Brian Grazer who secured Cat rights after five months of negotiations with Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel. The script will be based on a story conceived by Allen, who admits that as a child he was spooked by Seuss’s mischievous feline babysitter. ”My dream is to give it the edge that scared me,” says the actor of his darker tale. ”Like Alien, we’ll see very little of the cat. He’s a human being who turns into the cat — like a werewolf or vampire — as he gets more and more frustrated trying to deal with these children.” Giving Oh, the Places You’ll Go! a whole new meaning.
Posted November 24 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!