We, as a nation, are obsessed with Spears’ body. Ever since she shook her teenage tuchis to ”…Baby One More Time,” we’ve been anxiety-ridden about her flesh: Is she showing too much of it? Is all of it real? With her audacious performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, Miss Spears twisted our corporeal fixation to her advantage. Emerging on stage in a sequined black suit, breathily crooning the Rolling Stones’ ”(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” she shocked the audience out of its stupor when, in a single, fluid motion, she tore the ensemble from her frame. Underneath? A flesh-colored bikini top with matching pants slung low enough to expose a rhinestone-studded thong. Our little girl wasn’t just growing up — she was darn near naked! Like Madonna, who writhed in a trampy wedding dress during the VMAs in 1984, Spears embraced her critics’ ”too sexy, too soon” tut-tutting, converting it into a captivating act of ”Look at me!” showmanship. Shimmying her much-discussed bosoms, pounding the stage in a Flashdance-like fury, Britney laid her sexuality bare — and we, of course, couldn’t look away.
Posted December 22 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big