It’s always exhilarating to see actors who’ve been stuck in one-dimensional roles get an opportunity to strut their stuff. Never has this been truer than in the case of Alexander, who went from peripheral parts in NBC’s NewsRadio and ER to a magnificently multifaceted performance as Fran Boyd, a smack-addicted Baltimore mom who ultimately kicks her habit, in HBO’s Emmy-winning miniseries The Corner. ”I understood the woman in a very private place that didn’t have much to do with acting — I knew her at a gut level,” says Alexander. ”I felt I could bring dignity to her.” She brought that — and much more. ”All those terrible-looking wigs were mine,” the 42-year-old actress proudly reports. ”I love playing characters that are unrecognizable.” After her work on The Corner, Alexander no longer has to worry about her talents going unrecognized.
Posted December 22 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nicole Scherzinger lose her mind over some 'freak of nature' magic
- 'You're the Worst' snags Echo Kellum in season 2
- President Obama documents his 'Running Wild' trip with Bear Grylls in selfies
- 'Are You The One?' season 3 trailer: See the new twist in action
- Theo Rossi joins 'Luke Cage' cast, Rosario Dawson will return as Claire Temple
- Garbage to reissue 20th anniversary edition of their debut album
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Hader, and Jason Sudeikis to guest on 'Billy on the Street'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!