It’s always exhilarating to see actors who’ve been stuck in one-dimensional roles get an opportunity to strut their stuff. Never has this been truer than in the case of Alexander, who went from peripheral parts in NBC’s NewsRadio and ER to a magnificently multifaceted performance as Fran Boyd, a smack-addicted Baltimore mom who ultimately kicks her habit, in HBO’s Emmy-winning miniseries The Corner. ”I understood the woman in a very private place that didn’t have much to do with acting — I knew her at a gut level,” says Alexander. ”I felt I could bring dignity to her.” She brought that — and much more. ”All those terrible-looking wigs were mine,” the 42-year-old actress proudly reports. ”I love playing characters that are unrecognizable.” After her work on The Corner, Alexander no longer has to worry about her talents going unrecognized.
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Survivor' exclusive sneak peek: Watch the 'Worlds Apart' merge
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!