It’s always exhilarating to see actors who’ve been stuck in one-dimensional roles get an opportunity to strut their stuff. Never has this been truer than in the case of Alexander, who went from peripheral parts in NBC’s NewsRadio and ER to a magnificently multifaceted performance as Fran Boyd, a smack-addicted Baltimore mom who ultimately kicks her habit, in HBO’s Emmy-winning miniseries The Corner. ”I understood the woman in a very private place that didn’t have much to do with acting — I knew her at a gut level,” says Alexander. ”I felt I could bring dignity to her.” She brought that — and much more. ”All those terrible-looking wigs were mine,” the 42-year-old actress proudly reports. ”I love playing characters that are unrecognizable.” After her work on The Corner, Alexander no longer has to worry about her talents going unrecognized.
Posted December 22 2000 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Jackman shares ‘Wolverine’ teaser image and asks for fan input
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!