Is Detroit calling Tom Hanks a wimp? A new Ford truck ad (with the tag ”Built Ford Tough”) implies that no macho man would ever watch ”You’ve Got Mail,” his 1998 romance with Meg Ryan. ”I’ve seen ‘You’ve Got Mail’ and enjoyed it,” says Ford marketing manager Lew Echlin. ”However, the truck owner in the ad apparently has too much work on his hands for such pursuits.” But at least one ”Mail” man is worked up about it. ”You know what?” Hanks told EW. ”I could kick the butts of all those guys driving their trucks. Come by me, man, and I’ll tear you apart. And you know what? I’ve only got one good shoulder.” Echlin’s official response to the ”Cast Away” star: ”I have two words for Tom: ‘Bosom Buddies’ – not exactly the essence of toughness.”
(You've Got Mail: Brian Hamill)
Posted January 1 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother' contestants invade 'Bold and the Beautiful'
- ‘Justice League’ director celebrates Wonder Woman with new photo
- Bill Murray crashes White House press briefing to talk Cubs baseball
- 'Secrets and Lies' sneak peek: Eric and Cornell meet again
- ‘Captain Marvel’ will be ‘strongest character we’ve ever had': Marvel
- Lynda Carter, Gal Gadot reflect on 75 years of Wonder Woman
- Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn parody Beyoncé's 'Formation'