Tom Hanks towers in Robert Zemeckis’ ambitious epic Cast Away, an existential meditation about men and love and loneliness and survival and a FedEx employee (Hanks) who loses track of time when his delivery plane crashes on a South Seas desert island. (His last words to his girlfriend, played by Helen Hunt: ”I’ll be right back.”) The best part is the long, mesmerizing stretch during which Hanks acts alone, mostly in silence (except when conversing with a volleyball).
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tom Hanks, Helen Hunt, Chris Noth, Nick Searcy; Director: Robert Zemeckis; Author: William Broyles Jr.; Producer (group): 20th Century Fox Film Corporation; Release Date Wide: 12/22/2000; Runtime (in minutes): 132; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 5 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Jennifer Lawrence's seventh grade yearbook superlative
- Get a sneak peek at this week's 'RWBY': Exclusive clip
- 'Return of the Living Dead' star Don Calfa dies at 76
- Highlights from J.K. Rowling's 'Fantastic Beasts' screenplay
- 'SNL': Emma Stone, John Cena, Casey Affleck are final hosts of 2016
- Shia LaBeouf calls out Drake, Lil Yachty in new freestyle rap
- T.J. Miller on 'Raiders' and a bag of Cheetos from Steven Spielberg
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big