Terence Davies’ magnificent adaptation of Edith Wharton’s masterpiece about the folly of one marriageable young woman who pays tragically for her restlessness burns through all the worn-out poses of period costume dramas. This stunning movie, starring Gillian Anderson in a career-igniting performance as proud, kind, foolish Lily Bart, makes a much-read American classic feel freshly devastating. Watch, too, for another piercing performance by Laura Linney as Lily’s treacherous ”friend.” And listen for Davies’ astute use of music – and silence. A
Genre: Romance, Historical, Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Anthony LaPaglia, Eric Stoltz, Dan Aykroyd, Eleanor Bron, Laura Linney; Director: Terence Davies; Author: Terence Davies, Edith Wharton; Producer (group): The Glasgow Film Fund, The Scottish Arts Council, Showtime Networks Inc., Three Rivers Productions; Release Date Limited: 12/22/2000; Runtime (in minutes): 140; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 5 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!