Terence Davies’ magnificent adaptation of Edith Wharton’s masterpiece about the folly of one marriageable young woman who pays tragically for her restlessness burns through all the worn-out poses of period costume dramas. This stunning movie, starring Gillian Anderson in a career-igniting performance as proud, kind, foolish Lily Bart, makes a much-read American classic feel freshly devastating. Watch, too, for another piercing performance by Laura Linney as Lily’s treacherous ”friend.” And listen for Davies’ astute use of music – and silence. A
Genre: Romance, Historical, Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Anthony LaPaglia, Eric Stoltz, Dan Aykroyd, Eleanor Bron, Laura Linney; Director: Terence Davies; Author: Terence Davies, Edith Wharton; Producer (group): The Glasgow Film Fund, The Scottish Arts Council, Showtime Networks Inc., Three Rivers Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 140; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 5 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the special Comic-Con DVD art for 'Teen Wolf' season 4
- Donald Trump doubles down on Mexico comments: 'It’s totally accurate'
- Kendrick Lamar's 'Alright' video, and everything isn't really all right
- Kings of Leon confirms 7th studio album is on the way
- 'Agent Carter' exclusive: Who's returning for season 2?
- Who should replace Donald Trump as host of 'The Apprentice'?
- Donald Trump is suing Univision
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!