Terence Davies’ magnificent adaptation of Edith Wharton’s masterpiece about the folly of one marriageable young woman who pays tragically for her restlessness burns through all the worn-out poses of period costume dramas. This stunning movie, starring Gillian Anderson in a career-igniting performance as proud, kind, foolish Lily Bart, makes a much-read American classic feel freshly devastating. Watch, too, for another piercing performance by Laura Linney as Lily’s treacherous ”friend.” And listen for Davies’ astute use of music – and silence. A
Genre: Romance, Historical, Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Anthony LaPaglia, Eric Stoltz, Dan Aykroyd, Eleanor Bron, Laura Linney; Director: Terence Davies; Author: Terence Davies, Edith Wharton; Producer (group): The Glasgow Film Fund, The Scottish Arts Council, Showtime Networks Inc., Three Rivers Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 140; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!