Terence Davies’ magnificent adaptation of Edith Wharton’s masterpiece about the folly of one marriageable young woman who pays tragically for her restlessness burns through all the worn-out poses of period costume dramas. This stunning movie, starring Gillian Anderson in a career-igniting performance as proud, kind, foolish Lily Bart, makes a much-read American classic feel freshly devastating. Watch, too, for another piercing performance by Laura Linney as Lily’s treacherous ”friend.” And listen for Davies’ astute use of music – and silence. A
Genre: Romance, Historical, Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Anthony LaPaglia, Eric Stoltz, Dan Aykroyd, Eleanor Bron, Laura Linney; Director: Terence Davies; Author: Terence Davies, Edith Wharton; Producer (group): The Glasgow Film Fund, The Scottish Arts Council, Showtime Networks Inc., Three Rivers Productions; Release Date Limited: 12/22/2000; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 140; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 5 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Deadpool makes a cameo in new 'Fantastic Four' trailer
- Drake disses Meek Mill during OVO Fest set
- Ellen DeGeneres tweets support for Amy Schumer after gun control speech
- 'Significant Mother' react: What did you think?
- Casting Net: Ali Larter returns for 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter'
- Amazon defends making a TV show with Woody Allen
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale are divorcing