Matt Damon and Henry Thomas star as a couple of stripling cowboys who ride away from home-front problems in 1949 Texas only to step into new ones down in Mexico; Lucas Black is a bad-news kid who gloms on to them, Penelope Cruz the all-too-tempting daughter of a rich Mexican landowner. Cormac McCarthy’s sauntering best-seller is undone, stalled by ungainly pastiche direction prone to a lot of random, arty imagery signifying Dios knows what. D+
Genre: Drama, Western; Starring: Penelope Cruz, Matt Damon, Henry Thomas, Lucas Black, Ruben Blades, Bruce Dern, Sam Shepard; Director: Billy Bob Thornton; Author: Ted Tally; Producer (group): Columbia Pictures, Miramax; Release Date Wide: 12/25/2000; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Miramax, Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted January 12 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama reads mean tweets on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (again)
- Carrie Underwood's debut album 'Some Hearts' sets country record
- All the stars Donald Trump slammed on Twitter during his run for president
- Matt LeBlanc on beginning 'Man With a Plan' and ending 'Episodes'
- Oscar frontrunners set to gather at EW PopFest
- Tom Hanks still remembers the rap from 'Big'
- 'Walking Dead' quiz: How well do you know dead characters' last lines?